Last Updated on October 8, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You may also like:
Salted Caramel Brownie Recipe – Gluten Free
American Heritage Chocolate is an authentic historic line of products—based on a recipe from the 1750s. I love it because it’s all natural and contains no preservatives.
The American Heritage Chocolate Chocolate Block can be substituted ounce for ounce in any recipe that calls for semi-sweet chocolate. In this recipe, I used the American Heritage Chocolate Finely Grated Chocolate Drink instead of cocoa powder as an exact substitution.
I used a gluten-free flour blend so everyone in the house could enjoy it.
You will have caramel left over so feel free to pour it over your brownie, add a bit more sea salt to the top and enjoy!
You can find American Heritage Chocolate as Chocolate Sticks, Chocolate Bites, Chocolate Blocks and a Finely Grated Chocolate Drink. American Heritage Chocolate is sold at over 130 fine gift shops at historic sites and museums in the United States and Canada including Colonial Williamsburg, Mount Vernon, Monticello, The Smithsonian and Parks Canada.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup American Heritage Chocolate Finely Grated Chocolate Drink
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour, baking blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xantham gum
- 1 chopped American Heritage Chocolate Stick
- Salted caramel:[br]
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature, cut in tbsp
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Make the caramel:
- In a medium pan, heat the sugar on medium high for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. It will be lumpy in the beginning but will melt and turn brown.
- Once it's completely melted and darkens, remove from the heat and add the butter. Don't freak out, it's going to sizzle and bubble when you add the butter.
- Stir 1-2 minutes until completely melted.
- Put back on stove and add the heavy cream and the sea salt, stirring constantly until blended.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Make the brownies:
- While the caramel cools, preheat the oven to 350F. Line 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt in a bowl and mix.
- Melt the butter and add it to the bowl. Stir until blended.
- Add the American Heritage Chocolate Finely Grated Chocolate Drink, flour blend and xantham gum. Stir until blended.
- Add the chopped American Heritage Chocolate Stick
- Pour half of the brownie mix in the lined pan.
- Pour 3/4 cup of caramel over the brownies but not quite to the edge. It will spread.
- Pour the rest of the brownie mix over the caramel and spread over the caramel. You won't be able to cover it completely but do your best.
- Bake 40 minutes or until a knife tested in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely & cut.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 48gProtein: 4g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.