Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a mouthwatering vegan dessert recipe to wow your vegan guests? These chocolate mint bars will tempt their taste buds with the tried and true combination of chocolate and mint. I found this recipe in the Vegan Holiday Kitchen cookbook. These were fantastic. No one had any idea that they were vegan or that they had applesauce in them. SSshh don’t tell!
- 4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance or other non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut or soy cream (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Melt the chocolate and Earth Balance in a small saucepan or the top of a double boiler over low heat. Once the chocolate starts melting, stir continuously. Remove from the heat as soon as the mixture is smoothly blended. In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, salt, and the peppermint and vanilla extracts. Whisk in the flour, chocolate mixture and chopped nuts. Pour into a parchment lined or lightly oiled nonstick 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center tests clean. Remove from the oven and let stand until just cooled to the touch.
- For the glaze, combine the chocolate chips, cream and extract in the same small sauce pan or double boiler used earlier. Cook over low heat until the chocolate chips are melted, then whisk until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake, then sprinkle generously with the powdered sugar. Let stand until the glaze is cooled completely and cut into small squares, no larger than 1 1/2 inches. Arrange on a plate to serve.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.