Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post showing you how to make a handmade book was inspired by a book provided for review. This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
For as long as I can remember, books have played a huge part of my life. I have always had a huge book case full of books and that is a passion that I’ve tried to pass onto my children. As much as I love books, I have never thought about how to make a handmade book until I came across the book, Book Play: Creative Adventures in Handmade Books.
Since I’m feeling rather crafty today, I decided I would give it a try. I love everything miniature so the project that caught my eye was the Matchbox Book. With this craft, you turn the matchbox into a little decorative box and then create a miniature book that is stored inside it. Since I’m a total novice when it comes to how to make a handmade book, I chose one of the simpler projects. Some of these projects are much more complicated so even if you have a bit of experience in how to make a handmade book, you’ll find something to challenge you.
How to Make a Handmade Book
- One matchbox (2″ x 1 1/2″)
- Decorative paper (8″ x 10″) to wrap matchbox
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper for the book’s text paper (inside)
- Glue Stick
- Needle and thread
- Embellishments if you want to decorate your book
- Very carefully, take apart the matchbox at the seams.
- Trace the outside box shape and inside box shape on your decorative paper
- Cut a piece for the inside of the box. You will need to add about 1/4″ on the sides to fold over the inside.
- Glue (using a glue stick) the decorative paper to the outside of the matchbox. Set it under something to hold it flat while it dries.
- After the paper is firmly adhered to the matchbox, fold it back together and glue it firmly.
- You may need to do this in steps & clip the sides to dry in between moving on.
- Cut a piece of decorative paper for the books’ text paper. Make sure it will fit inside the matchbox when folded. Cut about 3 identical pieces.
- The book says to sew the binding together but I took a shortcut and used a stapler 🙂 If you want authentic, use a needle and thread on the binding.
- Put the book in the bottom of the box and slide it into the top. If you want to, you can decorate the book or write messages in it. If not, leave it as is.
Now that you know how to make a handmade book, why don’t you try?
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.