Last Updated on August 21, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you add color without clutter? According to the LA Times, there are 300,000 items in the average American home.
Does that statistic shock you? Before I began decluttering, it would have surprised me but not now. For the past year, my husband and I have been working on reducing the clutter and busyness in our home. You won’t see any more piles of paper or plastic figurines. Gone are the days boxes hidden behind couches and “organizers” to contain the mess. This post has been sponsored but the story is my own.
How to Add Color Without Color in 5 Steps
Our goal isn’t to have a home that is stark white walls with only shades of neutrals thrown in every now and then. I love color as long as the area is peaceful and decluttered. Thankfully, it is possible to add color without clutter. These are the five easy steps that I use.
- Remove the clutter. Eliminating the clutter is the first step. The color you add will be lost in a sea of other colors if the area isn’t decluttered first.
- Clean the area. Colors will stand out more if the area is clean. Wash the windows. Dust and polish the wood. Remove fingerprints and scuff marks.
- Choose solid backgrounds. A green plant will stand out more against a solid color wall than a busy wallpaper pattern.
- Pick useful items. Color can come from a useful item like a box of tissues or a bottle of hand wash just as easily as it can from a plastic souvenir.
- Quality over quantity. Instead of having 5 inexpensive vases, choose one vase that is truly what you want. Then use it rather than packing it away for some day.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.