Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post on college on a budget is part of a sponsored campaign by Amazing on a Budget by Walmart[dot]com. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
Sarah is going to be a junior in college next year so this is our third year searching for tips for planning for college on a budget. We have always encouraged the kids to purchase only what they can afford and to save for the rest. Of course, we carry this belief into the process of planning for college. The last thing that I want to do is to have the kids graduate from college and end up with huge student loans that will take them forever to pay off. These are a few tips for planning for college on a budget that we have been using to avoid student loans.
Tips for Planning for College on a Budget
- Live at home. When possible, encourage your child to live at home with you while attending college. This will help keep expenses lower.
- In state discounts. Look for discounts offered at some state schools to residents.
- Work study. Many colleges offer work study programs so your child can earn some of the money themselves through the college.
- Get a job. A part time job is a great way to earn money toward college expenses.
- Used books. Ask at the college library whether used books are available for any of your classes. They can be up to 50% less than a new book.
- Limit your purchases at the school store. Yes, it’s convenient but the prices are a lot higher than at a regular store.
Amazing on a Budget is a smart shopping tool designed to help you get everything you need on the budget that you have to be college ready. Need the dorm room basics or essentials for your home, no problem! Amazing on a Budget will recommend products that fit your budget and style.
You can get all of the college essentials you need within your budget by creating checklists. Start shopping for your dorm room basics, household necessities, apartment essentials, healthy kitchen and cooking basics, the latest technology gear, storage solutions, or Fashion and Apparel. You can also create a “Custom Checklist” where you can include your own categories. Print your checklist or buy online. It’s very easy to create a list & set your budget. Then just sit back and they will offer recommendations for you based on that information.
Stuck on how to get started? Check out the two videos at the bottom of the Amazing on a Budget page for inspiration and ideas. Amazing on a Budget is an easy solution to help with budgeting and planning for your college student.
This post on tips for planning for college on a budget is part of a sponsored campaign by Amazing on a Budget by Walmart[dot]com. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.