Did you know that motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death for children age 1 to 13 in the USA? Check out these important car seat safety tips. The fatality rate could be reduced dramatically if the correct child safety seat were always used. In 2014, for children under 5, an estimated 252 lives could have been saved by child restraint use. I’m sharing this information today because I feel it’s something everyone should know about.
Important Car Seat Safety Tips
Every 33 seconds one child under age 13 is involved in a car crash— but safety seats, if used correctly and installed correctly, dramatically reduce the risk of fatality or injury to children. Find a car seat that fits your child. As children grow, how they sit in your car will change. Make sure the car seat you purchase is designed to fit your child’s current size and age.
- Not all car seats fit in all vehicles so test the car seat you plan to buy to make sure it fits well in your vehicle.
- Before putting your child in a car seat, read the manufacturer’s instructions so you know how your car seat works.
- All-in-One car seats offer you the advantage of using the same seat for the following positions: rear-facing, forward-facing with harness, then booster. These seats typically have higher height and weight limits for the rear-facing position, allowing you to keep your child rear-facing for a longer period of time.
- Remember, the best car seat is the one that fits your child properly, is easy to use, and fits in your vehicle correctly. The information here can help you choose the right seat for your child. Keep in mind that:
- Your child under age 1 should always ride in a rear-facing car seat.
- Children ages 1-3 should be kept rear-facing as long as possible.
- Keep your child in the back seat at least through age 12.
- Be certain you’ve installed your car seat correctly by having it checked at an inspection station or by a certified child passenger safety technician. Bring the Car Seat Instructions AND the Vehicle Owner’s Manual with you to a seat check appointment!
Please take a moment to be sure that your child’s car seat is installed properly and that they are in the right seat for their size. Here is a free car seat safety event. Then, share this post to get the word out about how important this is.