Last Updated on January 7, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Looking for a beef stew recipe with barley? Try this easy stew from Recipe Rehab Recipes from Season 2. It’s a family favorite.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Barley is a healthy whole grain that is high in protein and high in fiber. Barley contains insoluble fiber, which reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes and colon cancer. Since Marty has Type 2 diabetes and a history of colon cancer in his family, I have been working on ways to add healthy foods to his diet. Since Marty is a VERY fussy eater, this is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Thankfully, this beef stew recipe with barley is something that is both healthy and delicious.
I was asked to create two beef stew recipes for you using Certified Angus Beef®. The first recipe I created was the Hearty Beef Stew and this beef stew recipe with barley is the second.
Beef Stew Recipe with Barley
The Certified Angus Beef® brand logo means that the beef has met ten standards for premium quality, including abundant marbling. Marbling is the little white flecks within the red meat. These melt during cooking, basting beef from the inside out for mouthwatering flavor and juiciness. The Certified Angus Beef® brand is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select grades.
This Beef Stew with Barley Recipe was adapted from a recipe provided by Chef Vikki Krinsky. You can watch the award winning Recipe Rehab on CBS Saturday mornings; check local listings for air time. Make sure you tune in this Saturday to find out who the winner is! Have you ever watched Recipe Rehab?
So, which beef stew recipe did I like best? I thought they were both delicious but in the end, I would choose the Paleo Beef Stew. The sauce was thicker than the Beef Stew with Barley and I think it had a richer flavor. Make sure you watch Recipe Rehab on CBS Saturday mornings!
Beef Stew Recipe with Barley
Looking for a beef stew recipe with barley? Try this easy stew from Recipe Rehab Recipes from Season 2. It's a family favorite.
- 2 1/2 lb Certified Angus Beef sirloin tip, cut into 1 1/2-in chunks
- 1 lb crimini or button mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp or large pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 cup quick cooking barley
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Add mushrooms, spinach, garlic, tomato paste, thyme and oregano to food processor. Pulse lightly until vegetables are roughly diced and mixture comes together.
- Pat cubed meat with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture; this helps beef brown when seared. Season beef with salt. In large Dutch oven or pot on medium-high heat, add one tbsp olive oil. Working in bathches so as not to crowd the pot, brown beef a few minutes on each side. With slotted spoon, remove browned beef and reserve.
- Add remaining olive oil to Dutch oven, and then the diced onion, carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and add mushroom mixture, mixing well with wooden spoon. Place meat back in pan; then add the broth (liquid should cover meat and vegetables). Add bay leaf, cover pot and place in lower part of oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
- While beef is stewing, add barley and 2 cups water to a medium pot. Bring barley and water to a boil; lower heat and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Strain any excess liquid.
- After 40 minutes, remove pot from oven and stir cooked barley into stew. Return pot to oven so stew can continue to cook 10 more minutes, or if time permits, up to an hour. The longer the stew cooks, the more tender the beef will become.
- Serve stew in a shallow bowl and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 491mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.
45 thoughts on “Beef Stew Recipe with Barley”