Last Updated on September 5, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Have you considered allergy friendly entertaining tips for the holidays? Researchers estimate up to 15 million Americans have food allergies.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Food allergies are less than fun and they can make entertaining difficult. You want to be able to offer your friends and family a variety of tasty treats, but you don’t want to risk causing an allergic reaction. Since we’ll be having my parent, the kids and their significant others over for the holidays, I’ve been doing a bit of planning so I can deal with allergies. A product was provided for this post, but the story is my own.
8 Allergy Friendly Entertaining Tips
Marty is allergic to coconut. Sarah is gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant. I try to follow the Paleo or Primal diets as much as possible. When you put all of that together, there are a number of foods that everyone needs to be aware of.
- Always ask. When inviting people, be certain to ask them if they have any allergies or food intolerances.
- Substitute or Omit. In many recipes, you can simply leave out the allergen. If you have someone with a nut allergy, omit the nuts in any of your recipes. In baked goods, you can substitute seeds instead.
- Label them. If foods have a potential allergen, make a label indicating that they contain an ingredient that may be allergy sensitive. When we have people over for coffee, red is an allergen. I tie a red string or ribbon around the dairy milk. That lets my daughter know she should choose the other bottle which contains either almond or coconut milk.
- Be careful! If you are dealing with an allergy rather than a food intolerance, wash your hands and watch for cross-contamination. Use separate dishes, cutting surfaces and preparation areas. Keep potential allergens on a separate table if you need to serve them at all.
- Read the ingredients. You’d be surprised where things like corn and gluten hide. It may seem safe, but it’s best to check.
- Buy pre-made. Baking allergy friendly desserts takes practice. There are several brands that make cookies, pies, pastries, and other allergy friendly desserts that are a good choice if you have no experience.
- Keep it simple. You don’t need to offer 75 different dishes and desserts. Pick a few favorites and a few allergy-safe options and go with that.
- Go buffet. A buffet is a very easy option. Try a baked potato bar with different options for people to top their own. Try a make your own sundae with a variety of allergy safe toppings.
To make entertaining easy this year, we’re using the KRUPS Savoy EC314 Coffee Maker. It allows us to make up to 12 cups of coffee but also has a 1-4 Cup function for small batch brewing. It includes an adjustable warming plate temperature for up to four hours. It also includes an integrated water filtration system for the best tasting coffee. It includes a Gold Tone Filter which is removable and washable to eliminate any concern of allergens.
One of my favorite functions of the KRUPS Savoy EC314 is the BOLD function. Yes, you heard me right. By using the bold function, you can get a richer and fuller body taste when you brew your coffee. It’s Bold… Done Better!
The KRUPS Savoy EC314 Coffee Maker is available now for $79.99 in retailers nationwide including Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, BonTon, Fred Meyers, JC Penny and WilliamsSonoma.com.
One of my readers will win their own KRUPS Savoy EC314 Coffee Maker by entering below.
Do you have any allergy friendly entertaining tips to share?
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.