Whenever we get together for the holidays, we have a holiday party appetizer before the main meal. Often, we have a fruit salad or a fruit cocktail since not everyone likes seafood or shrimp cocktail. This year, I wanted to take it a step up from a simple fruit salad and do something a bit more festive and a little more elegant while still respecting everyone’s dietary preferences and sensitivities.
Holiday party appetizer
- 4 cups fresh red raspberries
- 2 peeled and quartered clementines
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 8-oz container crème fraîche
- powdered sugar to taste
- Toss the quartered clementines, berries, orange juice, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, whip the crème fraîche with powdered sugar to taste in an electric beater. Serve the berries in a bowl with a generous dollop of whipped creme fraiche on top.
This is a very simple holiday party appetizer. You could easily switch out the raspberries and clementines for different types of fruit that are in season for you. Strawberries and blueberries would be delicious in the summer for a patriotic appetizer.