Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
Wheat berries are the entire wheat kernel (except the hull). A wheat berry contains the bran, germ, and endosperm. You can use wheat berries to grind home milled flour, sprout them, or cook with them in a number of wheat berry recipes. When I was sent a product to prepare a recipe for my site using KAMUT® wheat berries, I was a bit intimidated. While I know what wheat berries are and have read about cooking with them, I had never actually made any wheat berry recipes myself. This post contains affiliate links, and I will receive compensation if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
You may also like:
- Leftover turkey casserole with rice
- How to inject flavor in a turkey
- 8 tips for using your slowcooker
Wheat Berry Recipes
KAMUT® guarantees that this wheat will always be non-GMO and hasn’t been modified or altered. KAMUT® Wheat is grown under strict quality and purity production guidelines and is exclusively grown certified organic. I love knowing that KAMUT® Wheat is organic and non-GMO.
Since I had a whole chicken I picked up at our food coop, I decided that a KAMUT® Wheat Berry Dressing would be the perfect recipe to try. This recipe was provided to me by KAMUT®. I substituted dried cranberries for the golden raisins the recipe called for since that’s what I had in the pantry.
The first step is to cook the wheat berries so that they are chewy. This takes about two hours so it is best to prepare the recipe ahead of time and then reheat it when you need it.
While you are cooking the wheat berries, you can continue on with the other steps. If everything is hot when you place it in the baking dish, you really only need to cook it for a few minutes. You could probably skip the cooking in the oven step if you wanted to as well.
Better Than Bouillon, Organic Chicken Base, 8 ozParadise Meadow Organic Premium Dried Cranberries, 5-OunceAncient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
2 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
2 hr, 30 Total Time
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound fresh Shitake mushrooms (remove stems for use and finely slice the caps)
- 1 cup KAMUT wheat berries
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 finely chopped medium onions
- 2 finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped fennel seeds
- salt & pepper
- Boil the water and add KAMUT berries. Cover and simmer for 2 hours until plump and chew, adding more water as necessary. Drain and let cool.
- Combine chicken stock and shitake mushroom stalks. Boil, remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain stock,return to saucepan, add wild rice, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook for one hour, adding more liquid during cooking if necessary.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan and add onions, salt and pepper and cook until brown. Add the apples and fennel seeds and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large shallow baking dish. Add the last tbsp of oil to the pan and cook sliced shitake mushrooms until brown. Season with salt and pepper and add to the baking dish. Stir KAMUT, wild rice and golden raisins into the dish, cover and bake in 400F oven for 24-30 minutes. Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving or use as stuffing for the bird.
KAMUT® has a variety of different products including wheat berries, pasta, flours, and mixes. Now that I know how to use wheat berries, I will definitely be trying more wheat berry recipes.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.