We have two house plants that I’ve managed not to kill yet. One is in a pretty pot I got years ago from a garden center. The other is in an ugly plastic pot that I really want to replace. I love the look of the distressed flower pots in the garden center but they’re fairly expensive. As I was wasting time on Pinterest, I came across some pretty DIY French Pots that had a distressed look and that motivated me to create my own.
How to Distress a Flower Pot
I don’t have any French sayings and that theme doesn’t really go with my living room so I decided to remake them a bit and just distress a blank pot with no saying. You could easily choose a saying or graphic of your choice if you wanted to add that. For me, the simplicity of the distressed flower pot is just perfect. Materials:
- Terra cotta flower pot
- White or grey paint. You can use acrylic paint or leftover paint from a home remodel. I used leftover paint we used in our bathroom repairs.
- Sandpaper, fine grain
- Paper towel
- Crumble up your paper towel and dip it carefully into your paint. You want it to be mostly dry.
- Very lightly rub the paint on the flower pot. You don’t want to cover it solidly.
- Let it dry completely.
- You can blot it again lightly to add texture if you want but make sure that you let the terra cotta of the pot show through.
- Let dry again if you added another layer.
- Lightly rub the sandpaper over the pot to distress it.
- Add the soil and your plant and enjoy!
- Inspire Creative Play with an Easy Mask Craft for Kids by Our Family World
- DIY Project Using Old Window Frames by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy Succulent Centerpiece by Upstate Ramblings
- No Churn Minion Ice Cream by Homemaking Hacks
- DIY Oriole Bird Feeder by My So Called Balanced Life
- Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Cookies by LW Vogue
- DIY Jewelry Organizer by How Was Your Day?
- DIY Painted Rocks Garden Markers by Mom Always Finds Out
- Banana Pudding Eclair Cake – No Bake Easy Dessert by Sweep Tight
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice by Oh So Savvy Mom
- Sand Pudding Cups by Better in Bulk