Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
I love the fall because it’s apple season and the perfect time to try this apple cake recipe! We have several wild apple trees on the road we live on so I can smell the scent of apples every time I take a walk. We used to have our own apple tree on our property but it didn’t survive one of our particularly harsh winters. Now, I generally buy my apples from the farmer’s market instead. Since I have a big bag full of apples in the refrigerator, I thought I would try this apple cake recipe I found in One Bowl Baking that I got for review.
Apple Cake Recipe
I love baking but I want it simple. I don’t want to have to simplify by starting with a boxed cake mix or some kind of packaged ingredients. I want real from scratch baking like my Grandmother used to do. I don’t want to have to buy a bunch of fancy equipment or have the skill level of a French pastry chef to do it either. I have wonderful memories of my Grandmother baking cookies when I was a little girl. We used to visit her in northern Vermont each summer. Her kitchen was simplicity at its best. There was no microwave, no food processor, no shelves lined with packages of pre-made foods.
One Bowl Baking is full of recipes that are simple and delicious. These from scratch recipes remind me of the way my Grandmother used to bake. You won’t find yourself needing to microwave anything and you won’t spend two hours in the kitchen preparing them. They can all be assembled and in the oven in 15 minutes or less. One bowl… no fancy equipment… that’s my kind of recipe.
from One Bowl Baking
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, shredded and lightly packed
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Place an oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter an 8" square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Stir in grated apples.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg to the bowl then stir until completely combined. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake until just firm, about 35 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
Serve as is for breakfast or a non sweet dessert. If you want something a bit more decadent, drizzle caramel over the cake and top with fresh whipped cream.
Do you have a favorite apple cake recipe?
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.