This post has been sponsored. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
Spring time means strawberries and strawberries mean strawberry shortcake, at least in my world. Of course, since I’m trying to follow the Paleo diet, traditional biscuits are not on my list of things to eat. Thankfully, with a bit of playing around with my traditional recipe, I have discovered a pretty good Paleo biscuit recipe. For those not familiar with the Paleo diet, it rules out all grains – even traditional gluten free grains like rice. The Paleo diet does allow you to use things like almond flour and coconut flour in your baking.
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This Paleo strawberry shortcake recipe uses almond flour so it is safe for both paleo and gluten free lifestyles. There is no dairy so it’s perfect for those with a dairy allergy. To make this vegan, substitute stevia or maple syrup for the honey and use an egg replacer for the eggs.
- 3 cups of almond flour (finely ground)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs, farm fresh
- 2 tbsp local honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh organic local strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center & add the liquid ingredients.
- Stir until a dough is formed.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Flatten slightly.
- Bake about 20 minutes, checking after 15.
- Top with fresh strawberries. If desired, top with coconut whipped cream.
The strawberries in traditional strawberry shortcake have been cooked in sugar which is really not necessary. Fresh spring strawberries are juicy and sweet all by themselves. Slice and top your Paleo Strawberry Shortcake with fresh strawberries, organic and local please.
If you’re like me, every time you think of strawberry shortcake, you think of Strawberry Shortcake, Apple Dumpling and the rest of the gang from the Strawberry Shortcake cartoon. You can watch that and a whole bunch of other classic cartoons on Netflix. Pile up a big plate of this Paleo Strawberry Shortcake recipe and tune into Netflix for all your favorites.