Every year for St. Patrick’s Day, I make Corned Beef and Cabbage. This year, I decided to do something different and am making an Irish Dublin Coddle recipe for dinner. Irish Dublin Coddle is a traditional Irish dish that’s made of sausage, potatoes, bacon and onions. According to what I’ve found online, it dates back to at least the early eighteenth century (1700s).
How to Make an Irish Dublin Coddle Recipe
Irish Dublin Coddle is typically served with Irish Soda Bread but since we are trying to go gluten free, we’ll simply enjoy it on its own. If you’re following the Paleo diet, you can eliminate potatoes from your serving.
- 1 package of good pork sausage
- 1 yellow onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1 package of bacon, chopped, avoid the nitrates please
- 3 pounds of potatoes
- 2 cups of broth, whichever kind you have
- fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 300F.
- In a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat the bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove and let drain to remove the fat.
- Cook the sausage until they are cooked through. You can leave them whole or cut them up.
- Remove it from the burner and add the sausage, onion, bacon and potatoes.
- Pour the broth over the top and put the pan back on the burner.
- Heat to boiling.
- Place in the oven (covered) for about 90 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
You could probably make this in your slow cooker if you wanted to eliminate browning the sausage and just toss it all in your slow cooker for 8 hours or so on low. You wouldn’t get the seared flavor from browning the sausage and the bacon but it would be quicker if you’ll be gone all day and want dinner on the table when you’re home.
- Green Shamrock Gummy Candy by This Mama Loves
- Enjoy a Simple Irish Meal featuring Shepherd’s Pie by Day by Day in Our World
- Irish Skeleton Key Necklace by The Socialite’s Closet
- Mint Shower Scrub Bridal Party Favor by A Bride on a Budget
- Skinny Shamrock Shake by Jen Around the World
- Shamrock Smoothie Creation by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Mint Chocolate Fluff by Mom on the Side
- Leprechaun Hat Cupcakes by Kids Fun Reviewed
- St. Patrick’s Day Wreath – Dollar Store DIY by MommaDJane
- Lucky Rustic Wall Hanging: A Paint Stick Craft by Food Fun Family
- Green Tea & Peppermint Sea Salt Foot Scrub by Sincerely Mindy
- Matcha Pear Green Smoothie by Upstate Ramblings
- Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes by How Was Your Day?
- DIY Shamrock Tree by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day Brownies by Mom Does it All
- No Bake Mini Mint Oreo Cheesecake by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Mini Banofee Pie by Beyond Mommying
- Green Smoothies for St. Patrick’s Day by Family Focus Blog
- Leprechaun Bark by sweet lil you
- Good Luck Vintage Cab Ring by Style on Main
- Send Them Out the Door Ready for a Good Day by Beautiful Touches