Homemade cream of mushroom soup is another basic that is very simple for you to make yourself. There is no need to buy canned cream of mushroom soup at the grocery store. This homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe can be ready, start to finish, in about 25 minutes. It’s very simple to make and uses ingredients that you probably already have on hand. You can use this same basic recipe to make cream of celery soup or any other cream soup. Just substitute the other ingredient for the mushrooms. I found this recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup in The Soupbox Cookbook.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 15 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, thinly slice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and a tsp of salt and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add thyme and parsley and lower heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the heavy cream into the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
As a note, I did not have any shallots and couldn’t find them in my local grocery store so I left them out. I’m sure you could substitute onions in yours if you wanted to but it was very flavorful the way I made it.
Have you ever tried making your own homemade cream of mushroom soup? Or have you made another type of cream soup?