My homemade coleslaw recipe is one that I look forward to each spring. We often enjoy it for our Easter dinner as a side dish and then again in the summer when it’s time for cookouts and barbecues. While some people choose to buy coleslaw already prepared, my homemade coleslaw recipe tastes far better than anything I’ve purchased from the grocery store. Thankfully, my homemade coleslaw recipe is also very easy to make.
Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
- 6 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup real mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Shred the cabbage and the carrots in your food processor.
- In a large bowl, mix the cabbage and carrots well.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar and salt.
- Combine the two and mix well.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors merge.
I generally make my own mayonnaise but when pressed for time, I will use mayonnaise from the store. Making your own mayonnaise is very simple. I show you to to make your own mayonnaise in this video if you’d like to try it yourself.
Don’t laugh. It’s an old video and one of my first but it still explains the process very well. Note that homemade mayonnaise does not have preservatives and cannot be stored for an extended period of time in the refrigerator. I use mine within about 48 hours of making it. That means that whatever recipe you use it in should be eaten within about 48 hours as well. I make this the day before Easter or the day before our picnic. Since everyone loves it, there are almost never any leftovers to have to deal with. If there are, just make certain to use them up the following day.
Check out all of my delicious, healthy recipes.