I’ve been looking for a healthy breakfast smoothie to help me get an extra kick of vitamins each day. I’m the first to admit that my morning generally consists of multiple cups of coffee. I usually grab cold cereal for breakfast and head to the computer to start working. I figure adding in a healthy breakfast smoothie certainly cannot hurt. I’m not generally a person who wants to eat vegetables for breakfast. Fruit is great but vegetables I reserve for lunch and dinner. However, I found this healthy breakfast smoothie recipe in Paleo Desserts by jane Barthelemy and decided that it sounded pretty amazing.
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup filtered water or coconut milk
- 8 fresh or frozen strawberries (about 1 cup)
- 1 tangerine, peeled, sliced and seeded
- ¼ fresh beet (use a small beet, which is usually less bitter)
- ½ inch fresh ginger, chopped or grated, or ¼ tsp ground
- Suggested sweetener: 2 tbsp Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking) or to taste
- 4 tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Enjoy immediately.
If you are looking for a healthy breakfast smoothie, I definitely enjoyed this one. The beet taste is not overly noticeable at all in this smoothie. It’s not like drinking vegetables. The tangerine and the strawberries work well together and it is nice and creamy tasting. The coconut milk makes this a great smoothie recipe for those that are lactose intolerant and cannot tolerate traditional smoothies. Of course, it’s also gluten and grain free so it’s a perfect breakfast for anyone with gluten intolerance or following the Paleo diet. If you’re looking for a Paleo cookbook, check out my review of Paleo Desserts.