For years, as January 1 got closer, I would make a bunch of health resolutions for the new year. I was going to eat better, lose twenty pounds, remember my vitamins, exercise for an hour each day, etc. I had so many health resolutions that I was setting myself up for failure before I even started.
Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a Healthy New You
When making health resolutions, it’s important to take baby steps. Getting healthy can be a long journey. You’re not going to change every unhealthy habit overnight at once. Very few people have that much self control. All you will do is frustrate yourself and give up. Don’t look at the distant horizon. Look at the first step you can take. Start with things that will be easy for you to change and pick only one or two at a time. As you feel confident in the changes you’ve made, add in a few more changes:
- Cut out the processed foods. That could mean cooking from scratch or it could mean eating less fast food. Focus on healthy meats, vegetables and fruits and cut down on the carbs.
- Get more active. Take the stairs. Take a walk during your lunch break. Join a gym or sign up for Zumba lessons. Just get more active than you are right now.
- Remember your vitamins. I try really hard to remember this each day but when I’m really busy, I do forget. Speak to your doctor about what vitamins and supplements are good for you at your age and with your lifestyle.
- Stop smoking. No, it’s not easy. I’ve been there. But, it won’t get any easier next year. Quit today.
- Buy more organic foods. Buying organic food is one way to be certain you are avoiding foods that are genetically modified (GMOs).
- Check your numbers. Visit the doctor to get baseline numbers so you know where you’re starting. Depending on your health, that may include weight, cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure, body mass index, etc.
- Take time for you each day. Whether that means daily prayer time, meditation, a hot bubble bath with a scented candle or something else. Just take time for you.
- Watch the caffeine. I know this one is really difficult and I struggle with it too. There is nothing wrong with caffeine in moderation. Make sure you’re not overdoing it.
- Drink more water. Water flushes out your system and your organs. It will help fill you up, help your skin look younger and help your body work better.
Pick one (or a few) of these healthy changes to make this year. Which ones are the most important are entirely up to you. Just make a few small changes to start the New Year off with a healthy step.
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl’s Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever| Kendra Spencer @ A Sonoma Garden
10. Make This the Best Monarch Season Ever | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Saving Sarah
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra’s Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year’s Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite’s Closet