This easy asparagus appetizer is perfect for the holidays or even for a light lunch. I first made these Asparagus Tomato Parmesan Squares when I was looking for an easy way to encourage the kids to eat more vegetables. While my kids generally eat veggies, they’d much rather graze on them than sit down to a pile of asparagus on the dinner plate.
Easy Asparagus Appetizer | Asparagus Tomato Parmesan Squares
It’s so much easier to get them to grab some carrot sticks and dip, celery with peanut butter or this easy asparagus appetizer. It may looks like it took quite a while to make but it was honestly really quick and easy. It would be perfect to start of your Thanksgiving meal or for any get together.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 box of puff pastry sheets
- 1 container of fresh pesto
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- The quantities are fairly vague because it really depends on how many people you're entertaining or whether you're making it for a snack for you and the kids. Adjust as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Roll the puff pastry sheets slightly, even off the edges, cut into 2" squares.
- Carefully lift them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Brush on the pesto
- Add a half a cherry tomato and a piece of asparagus onto each.
- Add salt and pepper and cheese to the top of each
- Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown
Let the kids help add the vegetables and the cheese. It will let them feel like they’re part of process and they’ll be more likely to enjoy sampling them afterward. Set them down in front of a Veggie Tales movie and get them all excited about Bob the Tomato and Junior Asparagus while they enjoy this appetizer for a mini lunch.
Whether you’re planning a Friendsgiving feast or sticking to your traditional Thanksgiving routine, show your kids why friends are worth being thankful for with this month’s picks. Explore lessons about friendship from a few of the greatest duos, including Rory and Lorelai, Charlotte and Wilbur and Bob and Larry, whose all-new Netflix original, “VeggieTales in the House,” starts streaming Nov. 26.
This recipe is brought to you by Netflix. I am a member of the Netfix Stream Team.