I’ve decided that getting old is less than fun. As if I wasn’t already really loving the fact that my heel spur is bothering me, I have also developed arthritis in the fingers of my left hand. As someone who types all day long, I can tell you that pain and swelling in your fingers is not a great thing to have. This post contains affiliate links.
Arthritis Home Remedy | Essential Oil Rub
Before I turn to an over the counter solution, I’d really prefer to try an arthritis home remedy like this essential oil rub. Essential oils have amazing medical properties that we’ve really only rediscovered recently. These are the solutions our ancestors turned to because there were no over the counter drugs for them to use.
Arthritis is caused by inflammation and there are essential oils that work to help with inflammation. Note that I’m not a doctor of any sort and you should always check with your doctor when trying something new. This works for me.
Several essential oils help with inflammation and pain: peppermint, wintergreen, citrus and lavender. Also helpful for inflammation are tea tree oil, myrrh and oregano. Rosemary essential oil can help improve circulation. Choose a combination that works best for you.
You need to mix the essential oils with a carrier oil. Absolutely NEVER apply them directly to your skin in full strength. Since I got a great deal on fractionated coconut oil on Amazon, I used that. You could also use extra virgin olive oil or sweet almond oil. Fractionated coconut oil is a liquid even at cooler temperatures. Don’t use regular coconut oil. I chose fractionated coconut oil because it has a long shelf life and no odor.
- Small glass container
- Fractionated coconut oil (not solid coconut oil)
- Essential oils of your choice (tea tree, peppermint, wintergreen, citrus, lavender, myrrh, oregano, rosemary)
- You will need about 2 ounces of fractionated coconut oil. This will go a long way. Essential oils break down when exposed to light and heat so I store this in the refrigerator. An old glass spice jar works great for this. If you have a jar with a roller ball on top that makes it easier to apply but it’s not necessary if you don’t. Don’t use plastic. The essential oils will break down the plastic. Use glass.
- For my blend, I chose about 6 drops of tea tree oil, 6 drops of rosemary and 6 drops of lavender. I like the scent and the lavender helps my mood as well. You can adjust depending on what scent you like and what works best for you. Try to use one for inflammation and one for pain at least for the best results.
I have been using this essential oil rub two times a day for relief and it does seem to be working. I hope that you’ll try it and see if it works for you.
You may also like:
- Homemade Headache Salve
- Tips for Staying Paleo
- Easy Soapmaking
- Apple Cinnamon Detox Water
- Fibromyalgia Fitness