This Arroz con Leche recipe uses raisins and was inspired by the fact that the first week in May is National Raisin Week. National Raisin Week is always the first full week in May which in 2015 is May 4 through May 10. There are lots of delicious recipes you can make that call for raisins but this Arroz con Leche (literally Rice with Milk) is one of my favorites.
Arroz con Leche Recipe
Arroz con Leche is the Mexican equivalent of rice pudding. It is a thick and creamy rice pudding that has cinnamon and raisins. It is believed that Arroz con Leche originated in Spain and has Moorish traditions. The Moors occupied Spain for about 700 years that makes sense especially considering that rice and cinnamon are popular in Moorish culture.
Rice pudding is popular in many different cultures. When I grew up, the variety my mother made contained vanilla which is popular in Nordic countries. My Mother then baked it and it was served cold like a custard. This Arroz con Leche recipe is served warm for dessert with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- 7 cups of water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz can of condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup of raisins
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cinnamon
- Put the water, rice and cinnamon stick in a pan and boil over medium high heat for about 18 minutes. Do NOT cover.
- Strain out the liquid and remove the cinnamon stick. Put the rice back into the pan.
- Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and regular milk to the rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until thick - about 20-25 minutes.
- Add the raisins and mix.
- Put in serving bowls and add a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you’re looking for the super sweet, custard type of rice pudding that your mom baked in the oven, this isn’t it. This is very lightly sweet from the cinnamon and raisins but there is no added sugar or eggs so it is not a custard based dessert.
For more delicious recipes featuring raisins for National Raisin Week, visit a few of my favorite blogs:
- Raisin Cinnamon Swirl French Toast by Adventures in All Things Food
- Chewy, Delicious Oatmeal Raisin Coconut Cookies by Our Family World
- Oatmeal Raisin Muffins by Wife Mom Geek
- Carrot Raisin Salad by Thrifty Jinxy
- Make a Simple Cinnamon Raisin Bread by Day by Day in Our World
- Orange Raisin Muffins with Orange Glaze by Mom Does it All
- Chai Raisin Donuts by Upstate Ramblings
- Baby Kale and Raisin Salad by Better in Bulk
- Oatmeal Raisin Apple Muffins by My Sweet Sanity
- Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe – Sneak Fruits & Veggies in for Your Kids! by Frugal Novice