Tis the season for holiday parties and holiday parties mean holiday eating. No matter how healthy I try to be, I find myself tempted by the snacks and hors d’oeuvres that seem to call my name at every party I attend. Staying on track with healthy eating during the holidays can be a challenge even if you normally have tons of willpower. I try very hard to stay away from cakes, cookies and candies because I know that these are probably the least healthy options at holiday parties.
5 Healthy Dipping Options
My first choice at parties is almost always some sort of not messy finger food. Have you ever tried to make the rounds at a party while balancing a plate, napkin, fork, bag and glass? It doesn’t work for me and I inevitably end up dropping something. To solve this problem, I choose foods that are not messy and do not require a fork. That’s one less thing I’m going to drop on the floor. I love adding a spoonful of dip to my plate and some veggies or snack foods to dip. I was sent a Hostess Kit by New York Style for a feature on my site and have been sharing these at parties and get togethers with a variety of healthy dipping options.
Here are my top 5 healthy dipping options:
- Hummus is made of cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. Perfect accompaniment for New York Style Pita Chips. The Garden Fresh Ranch Variety are delicious!
- Salsa is a spicy, tomato based dipping sauce that is typically paired with Mexican cuisine. Generally low in fat, it’s one of my favorite healthy dipping options. Perfect paired with New York Style Panetini (oven baked Italian toast) in Garlic Parmesan flavor. Love that these are baked and not fried!
- Guacamole is mashed avocado mixed with chopped onion, tomatoes, chili peppers, and seasoning. Guacamole is loaded with vitamins and nutrients and is delicious with New York Style Mni Bagels. They are baked extra crispy and my personal favorite is the Sea Salt variety.
- Greek yogurt based dips that are slightly sweetened with healthy sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. I created this Primal Fruit Dip that was delicious with not only apples but with New York Style Sweet Swirls Chocolate or Cinnabon baked snack crisps.
- Greek yogurt based dips can also be made with garlic and herbs like my Healthy Herb Dip. My guests enjoyed dipping New York Style Roasted Garlic Bagel Crisps in this dip!
Of course, there are lots of different things you can do with New York Style crisps and chips. They are equally delicious paired with cheese or fruit.
Transform an ordinary snack occasion into something special with deliciously baked, all-natural New York Style Bagel Crisps, Pita Chips, Panetini and now Sweet Swirls. They truly are THE “Thing to Bring.” Visit www.newyorkstyle.com for more product information.